Looking Back, Looking Forward7 January 2011 · Filed in General
Everyone else is doing it, so I figured I might as well also: publish something about how the site fared during 2010. I’m going to do that, yes, but I’m also going to talk a little bit about my commitments to the site (and to the readers) for 2011.
Looking Back: 2010
The site ended the year with just shy of 1.2 million views during 2010. That’s a pretty impressive number (at least to me), but it’s barely unchanged since last year. I guess I’m going to have to find new ways of driving visitors to my site!
Here are the top 10 articles on the site (these articles could have been published anytime, not just in 2010):
- ESX Server, NIC Teaming, and VLAN Trunking
- VMware vSphere vDS, VMkernel Ports, and Jumbo Frames
- vSphere Virtual Machine Upgrade Process
- Linux-AD Integration with Windows Server 2008
- ESX Server, IP Storage, and Jumbo Frames
- VMware ESX, NIC Teaming, and VLAN Trunking with HP ProCurve
- Understanding NIC Utilization in VMware ESX
- Linux, Active Directory, and Windows Server 2003 R2 Revisited
- Linux-AD Integration, Version 4
- Creating a Bootable ESXi USB Stick on Mac OS X
The top 10 articles published in 2010 is interesting as well; I found that all of the most popular articles on the site were published in previous years. I don’t know if this means my content is getting worse (so older content is better than newer content) or if it just means the older content shows up better in search results. Anyway, here are the top 10 articles published in 2010:
- PXE Booting VMware ESX 4.0
- The Future of NetApp
- The vMotion Reality
- Setting up a CCNA Study Environment with GNS3 and VMware
- Enabling RAID 1 on a Mac Mini Server
- A Couple GeekTool Scripts
- Understanding Network Interface Virtualization
- EMC Celerra Optimizations for VMware on NFS
- New User’s Guide to Configuring VMware ESXi Networking via CLI
- vMotion Practicality
The thing I found interesting about this list is that some of the posts I expected to be on there—like some of the FCoE-related posts—are nowhere to be found. Interesting…
Looking Forward: 2011
For 2011, I have a few commitments to the site and to the readers:
One thing that I haven’t done a good job with over the last year or so is responding to readers’ comments. So, this year, I’m committing to do a better job of responding to readers’ comments here on the site. If you post a comment, I’m going to do my absolute best to respond to your comment, even if that means simply saying “Thank you”.
I am committing to continue to provide full RSS feeds and not just summaries. I’m also committing to not include advertisements of any sort within the RSS feeds. That being said, I might end up switching to excerpts or summaries on the home page in order to draw more readers deeper into the site.
A lot of readers have asked for the return of search functionality. So, this year, I’m committing to bring back search functionality to the site.
I do appreciate every single person who visits the site, subscribes to the feeds, or posts a comment. To each and every reader: thank you! I will strive to provide solid, useful, pertinent technical information that will make it worthwhile to continue to be a reader!Tags: Blogging · Writing Previous Post: New vSphere Resource by Train Signal Next Post: Changing the IP Address on a VPLEX Management Server