Scott's Weblog The weblog of an IT pro specializing in networking, virtualization, and cloud computing

Some Notes on Solaris-AD Integration

This afternoon, I walked back through my own instructions for integrating Solaris 10 and Active Directory, and I found that the process wasn’t as smooth as perhaps I’d believed it to be. As a result of walking back through the process again myself, I’ve collected some notes. At some point in the near future, these notes will be integrated into a new version of the Solaris-AD integration instructions.

So, without further ado, here are the notes I collected in no particular order:

  • The Blastwave Samba package does not create its own smb.conf file in /opt/csw/etc/samba. This is correctly pointed out in the latest integration instructions, but I wanted to mention it again here. You’ll need to manually create the /opt/csw/etc/samba/smb.conf file before attempting to join the Solaris server to Active Directory via the net ads join command.

  • The defaultServerList portion of the ldapclient manual command only supports IP addresses. The LDAP client service kept going into maintenance mode when using hostnames. On a hunch, I substituted IP addresses for hostnames, and it worked. Go figure.

  • Apparently, you can’t use ldapclient mod to change an existing attribute map. I had a hunch about resolving a co-existence issue where both Solaris and Linux are both authenticating against Active Directory—more on that particular topic is coming soon as well—and needed to change the attribute maps for the homedirectory and loginshell attributes. I ended up editing the ldap_client_file manually (found in /var/ldap; must be made writable using chmod) in order to make the change. If anyone has a more elegant fix, please let me know.

  • The net ads join command correctly creates a Kerberos keytab with the appropriate entries, but places it in the wrong location. On my test system, it placed the krb5.keytab file in the /etc directory, and Solaris expected it to be in /etc/krb5 instead. Until I moved that file, authentication against Active Directory consistently failed.

  • It turns out that it’s not really necessary to enable the DNS client using svcadm enable svc:/network/dns/client:default; from what I’ve been able to gather, that’s there as a dependency only. The nslookup and host commands seemed to work just fine with this service still disabled.

Again, I’ll be incorporating these changes into a future version of the Solaris-AD integration instructions. I hope to have that complete within the next week or two, so stay tuned. In addition, I have information coming to help with the co-existence of multiple UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems all authenticating against the same Active Directory forest, so keep your eyes peeled for that as well.

Be social and share this post!